· 3 Tbsp. butter
· 1 medium onion
· 3.5 oz. shiitake mushrooms
· 16 oz. sliced white mushrooms
· 6 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided
· 1 tsp. salt
· 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
· 2 cloves garlic
· 5 Tbsp. flour
· 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
· 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. Put a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. Chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir. De-stem the shiitake mushrooms. Discard stems and slice the caps.
2. Put canned mushrooms into the skillet. Increase heat to high. Stir occasionally until wilted and browned in places.
3. Meanwhile, pour 5 cups of the broth into a large pot or Dutch oven. Put it on high heat. Add the salt and pepper. Cover.
4. Mince the garlic cloves. Measure the flour and remaining 1 cup of broth into a mason jar. Put on the lid tightly and shake it really really well. Add the minced garlic to the mushrooms and stir. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the flour mixture and stir well.
5. Once the broth has reached a simmer remove it from the heat. Stir in the evaporated milk and then the mushroom and flour mixture. Return to heat just until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Pulse with an immersion blender* until most of the mushrooms are in small pieces . Serve.